Thursday 3 December 2009

Panopticism TASK 1

I suppose an example of panopticism would be...
To try and prevent people for steeling, sometimes CCTVS with large TV monitors are installed to instantly record as you enter a high street shop. As you can see yourself on screen this makes you feel very aware that you are being watched and wonder where else they'll be watching you. As a child, with out this understanding I just saw the monitor as a bit of fun and an excuse to pull a funny face into the camera. However seeing the monitor/CCTV now, i think does make me feel quite self conscious. I would never steel, but the CCTV almost makes you feel that you are being accused of intending to steel from the shop. I think if your desperate enough to steel your going to do it, with or with knowing the risk of being watched and caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment